By Georgie Gallagher
I’ve been asked this question many times over my consulting career. I think people think I do some kind of black magic – because to some, marketing can be a bit of an elusive concept.
What is marketing?
I'm guessing the word marketing originated in a street market where vendors had to sell their wares. And in simple terms, marketing hasn’t changed all that much since then.
I’ll never forget a moment from my childhood. We were visiting London and we heard a man with a wonderful Cockney accent selling roasted chestnuts on Petticoat Lane. An experience etched in my mind forever.
He gave us a taste. Delicious. We had to buy. Ah he says two bags for only a little extra. So my father bought two bags (after all there were five of us). And then he said come again tomorrow to me (a child of eight) and gives me a wink! Guess what, we were there the next day, and the next.
Yep that’s marketing.
a modern definition of marketing
If you take John Jantsch of Duct Tape Marketing’s definition of marketing, it’s getting someone to know, like and trust you so that they will try, buy, repeat and refer you to others... just like my roasted chestnut guy.
Whether you’re a large multi national or a small business, this definition shows that marketing is an essential part of your business. It’s how you attract and craft the journey of your customer and work to make them your loyal, referring customer.
so What does a marketing consultant do?
Perhaps the quick and easy answer is that we help build successful brands and businesses.
However, the best way to answer this question is to tell you what a marketing consultant doesn’t do.
- We don’t run off and tell you to do this or that without doing our homework. We know that you need to have the right information about your market and your customers before you ever begin marketing. A marketing consultant does your market research.
- We are not focussed on selling you one marketing tactic like a brand new website with no other coordinated marketing activities. We believe in marketing momentum and employing the right tactics (online and offline) that when working together, will achieve your objectives. A marketing consultant will develop your brand, what it stands for and then develop a cohesive marketing strategy, online and offline, to work in with your objectives and budget.
- We are not designers who help you design a new logo and say, here you go, go make some money. We know brand making requires a lot more effort than that. You need a fully coordinated effort across many fronts to create marketing momentum and achieve brand impact. A marketing consultant works with designers and other creatives to create a strong, memorable brand and applies this across your business and communications, where it will have the most impact.
- We don’t develop strategies in isolation from the rest of your team. We know that bringing your team along for the ride is just as critical for success as great marketing tools. A marketing consultant engages your team at each stage of the strategy development to ensure they have ownership of the final marketing strategy and have an appreciation of what the organisation is trying to achieve.
- We don’t leave you high and dry with a strategic marketing document that gathers dust on your shelf. We work with you to implement your marketing plan so it becomes the living, breathing core of your business. A marketing consultant can act as your external marketing manager if you don't have the internal resources to develop your marketing. Or they can come and help you for a specific project. It's really up to you but can be a very cost effective option to bring experience and knowhow into your business - and keep you accountable.
A marketing consultant helps you set your marketing path and then helps you achieve it. We conduct thorough market research. We develop your brand and marketing strategy with your key team. We then make it all happen.
So that’s what we do. It takes efforts, passion and quite a bit of work. But it’s worth it! Especially when you see your business successfully growing.
For more of what we do, check out Wildmoon's marketing case studies.
Georgie Gallagher is the founder of Wildmoon, a specialist consultancy for brand development, marketing strategy, marketing communications and strategic content marketing for mid tier businesses in Western Australia.