A Marketing Book Review by Georgie Gallagher of Wildmoon
Seth Godin - All Marketers Are Liars
Seth Godin has been questioning our world of marketing for a number of years now. His irreverence and spot-on insights are invaluable. In this book he explores a subject close to my heart. He calls it telling an authentic story. I call it your brand promise - being consistent with your brand in everything you do.
"You must have a consistent, authentic story that is framed in the terms of the worldview of the person you're telling the story to. Your story must be robust and honest and transparent and you have to be prepared to live it loud.
Yes, all marketers are liars. But the successful ones are the ones that can honestly tell us a story we want to believe and share."
5 Key Learnings
- Have a great product, cause or service you believe in.
- Deliver what you promise.
- Try and delight your client - go the extra mile.
- Make every point of contact with your client reflect your brand in every way.
- Walk in your current and potential clients shoes and see what you can improve.
Over to you
- What do you want your clients to buy into?
- What's your brand story?
- How do you make this story consistent across your entire organisation?
- How do you make clients thrilled they decided to choose you?
- How do you get them to want to share their experience with someone else?
Georgie Gallagher is the founder of Wildmoon, a specialist consultancy focussing on brand development, marketing strategy, marketing communications and strategic content marketing for SMB's.